Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Bell

 
 
The Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
1. The Bell Marker
Inscription.  
Dr. Richard Forrest served as pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Toccoa, Georgia, from 1925-1950. When the original framed church building was torn down and a new sanctuary built in 1926, members of the church's congregation agrees to donate the bell from the old belfry to Toccoa Falls Institute.

Today, it sits quietly in the center of campus, but for many years, it played an important role in the day-to-day activities of the college. It rang to signal the change of classes - from the "rising bell" in the morning until the "lights out" bell at night. after the installation of the automatic signal system on campus, the old bell became a "victory bell" for athletic games.

On November 6, 1977, after nearly five days of continual rain, the dam above Toccoa Falls failed and an estimated 176 million gallons of water surged through a narrow creek bed and toward the sleeping campus of Toccoa Falls. Those on the lower campus had little time to react to the danger. Students immediately rushed to the center of campus and began ringing the bell in an effort to wake those who were sleeping. By the early 1980s, the bell had
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
been a part of list at Toccoa Falls for more than 50 years. College officials decided it was time to retire the bell in an effort to prevent mischievous students from ringing it in the early morning hours.
 
Erected 2007 by Toccoa High School Class of 1954. This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1852.
 
Location. 34° 35.617′ N, 83° 21.45′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker can be reached from Bandy Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LeTourneau Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Earl Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); G.I. Hill & The Steel Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel
The Bell and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
2. The Bell and Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Woerner World Missions Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Stewart Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Dining Hall & Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
 
The Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
3. The Bell Marker
The Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
4. The Bell
Tablet reads, “Toccoa Falls Academy, 1907–1976. ‘A tree of God’s planting.’ Founded by Dr. Richard A. Forrest. Erected by the TFAA 1980.”
The Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
5. The Bell
Cast by Henry McShane & Co
Baltimore, Md
1886
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64390

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024