Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Uvalde County Courthouse

 
 
Uvalde County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
1. Uvalde County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Completed in 1928, this structure replaced Uvalde County's 1890 Courthouse. The Commissioner's Court hired architect Henry T. Phelps, who had designed several other Texas courthouses, and prominent local builder M. H. Ryland to manage the construction project. The neo-classical style courthouse is the fifth for Uvalde County, which was created in 1856. Outstanding features include its cast stone segmental arches and Ionic porticoes at the entrances. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1983.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5620.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
 
Location. 29° 12.603′ N, 99° 47.162′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of Getty Street (U.S. 83) and Main Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling north on Getty Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Uvalde County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
2. Uvalde County Courthouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Uvalde County (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Kincaid Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Texas Wagon Yards (within shouting distance of this marker); The Uvalde "Leader-News" (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice Hotel and Saddlery (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Wood Black (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
 
More about this marker. There are other markers on the courthouse grounds.
 
Uvalde County Courthouse cornerstone on NE corner image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
3. Uvalde County Courthouse cornerstone on NE corner
1890 Uvalde County Courthouse Cornerstone plaque image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
4. 1890 Uvalde County Courthouse Cornerstone plaque
1890 Uvalde County Courthouse cornerstone (on east side of grounds) image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 15, 2013
5. 1890 Uvalde County Courthouse cornerstone (on east side of grounds)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 20, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64564

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021