Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwardsburg in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Schoolhouse Bell

 
 
Schoolhouse Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
1. Schoolhouse Bell Marker
Inscription.  The District No. 5 bell was originally installed in 1875. The Bell was removed from the building in 1964, during remodeling, and sold to a local farmer. It was later sold to James Loop, who took it to his home in Wichita, Kansas. In 1996, the bell was purchased by Bill and Jean Hoffman and brought back to its original site.

The bell was cast at the Gould Mfg. Co. in Seneca Falls, New York in 1870, at a cost of $40. It weighs 390 pounds.
 
Erected 1998 by Mason Township and Bill & Jean Hoffman and Melvin & Shirley Stewart & Family.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 41° 46.57′ N, 85° 53.864′ W. Marker is near Edwardsburg, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 12 and Kessington Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the Mason Township Hall and Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17049 US12, Edwardsburg MI 49112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. District Schoolhouse (here, next to this marker); Trout Creek Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away in Indiana); Cathcart Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away in Indiana); Cathcart Memorial / Nicholson Memorial (approx. 5˝ miles away in Indiana); Graves et al v. Indiana (approx. 5.6 miles away in Indiana); Chain Lake Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679 (approx. 6.3 miles away in Indiana); The History of Boot Lake (approx. 6.4 miles away in Indiana).
 
Schoolhouse Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
2. Schoolhouse Bell Marker
Schoolhouse Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
3. Schoolhouse Bell
District No. 5 Schoolhouse and Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, April 21, 2013
4. District No. 5 Schoolhouse and Bell
View to southwest
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64646

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024