Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Navy Mascot
Erected 1957 by U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1915.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Military • Sports.
Location. 38° 58.731′ N, 76° 29.054′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Cooper Road and King George Street, on the right when traveling east on Cooper Road. Marker is located on the grounds of the United States Naval Academy. A picture ID is required to enter the Academy grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerN* (here, next to this marker); The Joseph R. Hunt Court (a few steps from this marker); Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Naval Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Greg Harlin's John Paul Jones's Ranger (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commodore John Barry (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Commodore John Barry (about 700 feet away); Sy Mohr's City Dock Harbormaster Collage (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Also see . . . The Official History of Bill the Goat, the Naval Academy's Mascot. "It was not until 1893, however, that a live goat made his debut as a mascot at the fourth Army-Navy game. Again, it was young naval officers who supplied the mids with their sea-faring pet. The USS New York dropped anchor off Annapolis and the ship’s mascot, a goat bearing the name El Cid (The Chief), was brought ashore for the service clash. The West Pointers were defeated for the third time, and the midshipmen feted El Cid along with the team." (Submitted on March 25, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 7,543 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.