Highland Park in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Francis Stupey Log Cabin
In December, 1968, the cabin was moved from the grounds of Exmoor, about ¾ mile northwest, to this site.
It was first opened on June 8, 1969, as part of the year-long centennial celebration of the city of Highland Park.
From 1847 to 1875 the cabin served as the Stupey family home, then as a farm building until 1896 when the founders of Exmoor bought the Stupey farm. The cabin was then used as a utility building until 1968.
At the time the cabin was built, the closest settlement was St. Johns, located in what is now the southeast corner of Fort Sheridan. Population of the area was less than 100 people.
Moving, restoration and furnishing of the cabin in the period of 1850 was done by the historical society. Funds were raised by public subscription.
Erected by Highland Park Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1868.
Location. 42° 11.047′ N, 87° 47.816′ W. Marker is in Highland Park, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on Saint Johns Avenue south of Laurel Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highland Park IL 60035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Public Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Water Tower (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fort Sheridan (approx. 2½ miles away); a different marker also named Fort Sheridan (approx. 2½ miles away); The Green Bay Trail (approx. 5.2 miles away); Adlai Ewing Stevenson II (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois (approx. 7.6 miles away); Kennicott House (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highland Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2013. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2013. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.