Silver Creek in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Swift Mansion
It was acquired for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish in 1914, through the efforts of Msgr. E.J. O'Connor. The mansion was used as a convent during the pastoral service of the Rev. Thomas Ciolino.
Restoration of the mansion, as a parish center and rectory began in 1984, under the guidance of the Rev. Claude H. Bicheler, to whom this plaque is dedicated.
Erected 1987 by The Silver Creek Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 42° 32.696′ N, 79° 10.242′ W. Marker is in Silver Creek, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Central Avenue (New York State Route 5) and Parkway Avenue. Located on the left of the entrance to the rectory. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 165 Central Avenue, Silver Creek NY 14136, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Skew Arch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dedicated to the Men and WomenFirst Settlers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Steamship Erie (approx. ¼ mile away); Ehmke Family Home (approx. half a mile away); American Revolution (approx. 2½ miles away); Site of First Settlement (approx. 3.2 miles away); Amos Sottle (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silver Creek.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.