Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cassopolis in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Newton House

 
 
Newton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
1. Newton House Marker
Inscription.  Designed by Christian Haefner in the 1860s, this house belonged to George Newton, a state legislator. The cupola, projecting eaves, and symmetrically grouped windows distinguish its architecture. This building is located in the 580 acre densely timbered Fred Russ Experimental Forest, which Michigan State University used as a forestry school after receiving it as a gift in 1942. The Cass County Historical Commission has restored this elegant structure.
 
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L367.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
 
Location. 42° 0.755′ N, 85° 58.075′ W. Marker is near Cassopolis, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is on Marcellus Highway ¼ mile east of Decatur Rd, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in Volinia Township near the Fred Russ Forest (County)
Newton House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
2. Newton House Marker
View to east along Marcellus Highway
Click or scan to see
this page online
Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20689 Marcellus Highway, Decatur MI 49045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dowagiac River Watershed / Lunker Structures (approx. 0.3 miles away); Big Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pickett's Corner (approx. 3.2 miles away); Cass County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Underground Railway (approx. 6½ miles away); Decatur Township Hall (approx. 6.7 miles away); Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cassopolis.
 
Regarding Newton House. The Newton House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
 
The Newton House image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
3. The Newton House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64730

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021