Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwardsburg in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Smith's Chapel

 
 
Smith's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
1. Smith's Chapel Marker
Inscription.  The first Methodist church in Milton Township was organized in 1839. The following year, this church was built and named Smith's Chapel to honor Canon Smith, who had contributed generously to the construction of the church. Smith, a native of Delaware, bought land here in 1829 and settled on it in 1831. The chapel is one of the oldest Methodist churches in southwestern Michigan. In 1967 regular church services were discontinued. Milton Township purchased the structure in 1972. It now serves as a wedding and funeral chapel.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L652A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
 
Location. 41° 46.079′ N, 86° 8.697′ W. Marker is near Edwardsburg, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker can be reached from Redfield Rd, 0.4 miles west of Brush Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in Milton
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Township. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Niles MI 49120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mother Angela Gillespie, C.S.C. (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); Historic Cross Relocation (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); La Salle's Camp (approx. 6 miles away in Indiana); Bertrand (approx. 6.1 miles away); St. Joseph's Mission (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is affixed to the front, south-facing wall of the chapel.
 
Regarding Smith's Chapel. Smith's Chapel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
 
Smith's Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
2. Smith's Chapel
Marker on wall to the right of the entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64740

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024