Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ring Music Hall

 
 
Ring Music Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
1. Ring Music Hall Marker
Inscription.  
The 1930s were years of anxiety for much of the world. At Toccoa Falls there were moments of concern, too, but these were mingled with times of joy as the Lord continued to provide. In 1938, as a result of the continuing economic depression of the country, the National Youth Administration (N.Y.A.) - a government youth program - was launched. This program offered practical training to young people. Toccoa Falls was a chosen site for a Residential Project, which increased the Institute's enrollment. Courses such as crafts, home economics, wood and metal shop, agriculture, and radio were added.

The N.Y.A. constructed four buildings of native stone on the TFI campus where these classes were taught. These included the Shop Building, the Agricultural Building, the Radio Building, which was converted into Ring Music Hall, and the Home Economics Building, a two story building located near the falls known as Gate Cottage.

After the program ended as the county entered World War II, the radio building was located near the creek and across the road from the college cemetery, was converted first into a wood shop and then into
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a music building. It was named Ring Music Hall in honor of Virginia Ring, a music student, who died in 1940. Fire destroyed this building in 1958. but not before the college's music groups became well known in the local and surrounding areas.

This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated in memory of Troy (1944) and in honor of Rebecca (1959). Donated by David (1968) and Michelle (Ring, HS 1964, BC 1968) Austin.
 
Erected 2007 by David and Michelle Ring Austin.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1938.
 
Location. 34° 35.533′ N, 83° 21.467′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Forrest Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alan Todd Yearwood Memorial Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Dining Hall & Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stewart Hall (about 300 feet away); Woerner World Missions Center (about 300 feet away); Bandy Music Hall (about 300 feet away); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (about 400 feet away); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel
Ring Music Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
2. Ring Music Hall Marker
(about 400 feet away); The Tents (about 400 feet away); Administration Building (about 400 feet away); Morrison Hall - Old Barn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
 
Ring Music Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
3. Ring Music Hall Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64753

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024