Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Walnut Creek in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dobbs County

 
 
Dobbs County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 18, 2013
1. Dobbs County Marker
Inscription.  Formed 1758 & named for Gov. Arthur Dobbs. From it were formed Wayne, 1779, Lenoir and Glasgow (now Greene), 1791. Courthouse was 3 miles S.
 
Erected 1973 by Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1758.
 
Location. 35° 19.046′ N, 77° 51.102′ W. Marker is in Walnut Creek, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 70 and South Beston Road (State Highway 1719), on the right when traveling east on U.S. 70. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange NC 28551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dobbs County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Dobbs County Court House (approx. 2.4 miles away); James Y. Joyner (approx. 3.6 miles away); William Dunn Moseley (approx. 3.7 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Engagement at Whitehall (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Battle of Whitehall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Seymour Johnson Air Force Base (approx. 6.9 miles away); Odd Fellows Home (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walnut Creek.
 
Regarding Dobbs County. In 1758 the General Assembly decided that Johnston County should be divided and that the newly formed county would be known as Dobbs, in honor of Arthur Dobbs, the Royal Governor of the colony of North Carolina. Close to the center of the new county, the old Johnston county seat at Walnut Creek became the seat of Dobbs, with the courthouse and its records remaining in tact. Johnston County was given a new seat and courthouse at Hinton’s Quarter, closer to the center of the new smaller county.
In 1779 Dobbs County was divided and the county seat was moved to Kingston (modern Kinston) where Richard Caswell, then Governor of the new state of North Carolina, owned property. Walnut Creek became the seat of the new county of Wayne, formed from the western half of Dobbs. The records in the old courthouse, however, moved with the Dobbs County records to Kingston.
Dobbs County Marker at the intersection of U.S. 70 and South Beston Road (State Road 1719) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 18, 2013
2. Dobbs County Marker at the intersection of U.S. 70 and South Beston Road (State Road 1719)

Dobbs County, the name a constant reminder of the old regime, was abolished in 1791 and two new counties were formed. They were Lenoir, named for William Lenoir, speaker of the state senate, and Glasgow, named for James Glasgow, Secretary of State. When Glasgow was found guilty of land fraud, the name of that county was changed to Greene, in honor of Revolutionary War hero General Nathanael Greene.(North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
 
Dobbs County Marker, looking northwest along US 70 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 18, 2013
3. Dobbs County Marker, looking northwest along US 70
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64801

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 13, 2024