Salina in Saline County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Founders of the Salina Town Company
William A. Phillips Alexander M. Campbell Alexander C. Spilman James Muir David Phillips
Their motto for Salina
"Religion first, Education second, Business third"
Original town founded in 1858 contained 320 acres. Boundaries were north to south & Front to Ninth Streets
By 1902 this block included:
1. Grand Central Hotel
2. Opera House
3. UCT Convention Hall
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 38° 50.383′ N, 97° 36.573′ W. Marker is in Salina, Kansas, in Saline County. Marker is near the parking lot located off 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 South Santa Fe Avenue (rear), Salina KS 67401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fox-Watson Theatre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); August Bondi (1833-1907) (about 600 feet away); Site of First Free Ferry on Smoky Hill River (about 800 Founders Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); M60 Main Battle Tank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Memorial Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. John A. Logan (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salina.
Also see . . .
1. Salina (Kansas) History. City website entry (Submitted on May 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Smoky Hill Museum, Salina KS. Museum website homepage (Submitted on May 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.