Cherry Tree in Indiana County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Cherry Tree Monument
The French claimed the inland territory by friendly possession and the English controlled the coastal territory by conquest.
The land, granted to William Penn and marked by the Purchase of 1768, was marked by a large wild black cherry tree. It was the corner boundary for three counties: Cambria, Clearfield, and Indiana.
In 1891, Vincent Tonkin began working on a monument honoring the purchase Penn had made from the Indians. The monument was approved in 1893. Robert Tonkin, J.R. Caldwell, and Harry Byers aided chief surveyor Harry Scanlin in finding the true location of the cherry tree.
The monument was designed by E.R. Carr and Company of Quincy, Massachusetts. John Davis and Albert Daugherty of Cherry Tree were chosen to build the sandstone foundation.
The Monument was unveiled on November 5, 1894. Porter Kinport was Master of Ceremonies for the occasion, which included the
The Cherry Tree Civic Club, formed in 1914 by Mrs. Thomas Parry, is in charge of maintaining the monument grounds.
Topics. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1939.
Location. 40° 43.476′ N, 78° 48.376′ W. Marker is in Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, in Indiana County. Marker can be reached from Maple Street (Pennsylvania Route 580) 0.1 miles east of Penn Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cherry Tree PA 15724, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cpl. Warren J. Shepherd (approx. 1.2 miles away); George Atcheson (approx. 5.9 miles away); Reilly's Colliery #1 (approx. 6 miles away); Hastings UMWA - District 2 Labor Chautauquas (approx. 6˝ miles away); John Ludwig Snyder (approx. 8.8 miles away); Last Raft (approx. 9 miles away); Millstone (approx. 10 miles away); Dr. Lawrence F. Flick (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,732 times since then and 341 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.