Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Primera Baptist Church

 
 
Primera Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ross Perkins, April 1, 2013
1. Primera Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  On March 1, 1903, Primera Iglesia Bautista organized as the culmination of mission work carried out by Primera Iglesia Bautista of Welder. By 1907, the congregation constructed their first church building. Led by the Rev. Paul C. Bell, the growing membership was active in the community, opening a primary and secondary school for the area's unschooled Hispanic children (1920), an orphanage (1920), and a Baptist Bible Institute (1924). Some of the orphans and students later became ministers and missionaries. The congregation moved to a new building in 1928. Members have since continued to minister to English and Spanish-speaking residents of the area. Today, Primera Baptist Church remains a beacon of light in the Bastrop Community.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15947.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1967.
 
Location. 30° 6.243′ N, 97° 19.055′ W. Marker is in Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker is at the intersection of Gutierrez Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Paul Bell Street, on the left when traveling west on Gutierrez Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain James Burleson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas H. Mays (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bastrop County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bastrop County Jail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Baron de Bastrop Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Home Town of Texas Confederate Major Joseph D. Sayers (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bastrop Advertiser (approx. 0.4 miles away); First National Bank of Bastrop (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bastrop.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2013, by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. This page has been viewed 535 times since then and 4 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 7, 2013, by Ross Perkins of Cedar Creek, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65155

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2021