Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newberry in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

City of Newberry Historic District

 
 
City of Newberry Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
1. City of Newberry Historic District Marker
Inscription.  The discovery of hard rock phosphate in Alachua County in 1889 sparked the appearance of boom towns wherever large deposits of the mineral were found. Incorporated in 1894, Newberry thrived until 1914 when the onset of World War I forced the mines to close. The mines did not reopen after the war, causing the economy of the town to collapse and forcing many residents to leave. The buildings in Newberry's historic district reflect the boom town atmosphere of small mining communities founded in Florida at end of the 19th century. The district was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 1995 by Florida Department of State Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-363.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
 
Location. 29° 38.778′ N, 82° 36.732′ W. Marker is in Newberry, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of West Newberry Road (State Road 26) and Northwest
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
254th Street, on the right when traveling west on West Newberry Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25440 W Newberry Rd, Newberry FL 32669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newberry Community Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Newberry, Florida (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Lynching in America / Racial Terror Lynchings in Newberry (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Newberry Lynchings of 1916 (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Peter Cemetery of Archer (approx. 7.1 miles away); David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newberry.
 
Regarding City of Newberry Historic District. National Register of Historic Places:
Newberry Historic District (added 1987 - - #87002150)
Roughly bounded by NW Second Ave., NW Second St., Lucile St., & NW Ninth St. , Newberry
• Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
• Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
• Architectural Style: Queen Anne, Classical Revival, Bungalow/Craftsman
• Area of Significance: Exploration/Settlement, Architecture, Commerce
• Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899
City of Newberry Historic District Marker at the Municipal Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
2. City of Newberry Historic District Marker at the Municipal Building

• Owner: Private , Local
• Historic Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic
• Historic Sub-function: Business, Single Dwelling
• Current Function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic
• Current Sub-function: Business, Single Dwelling
 
Newberry Historic District , Municipal Building placed on the National Register of Historic Places image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
3. Newberry Historic District , Municipal Building placed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Newberry Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
4. City of Newberry Historic District Marker
City of Newberry Historic District Marker seen along West Newberry Road (State Road 26) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
5. City of Newberry Historic District Marker seen along West Newberry Road (State Road 26)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 700 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 10, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65216

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024