Allendale in Allendale County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Town of Allendale
In 1810, pursuant to an Act of the South Carolina General Assembly, the state conveyed a 1000 acre landgrant signed by governor John Drayton to Benjamin and G. Washington Allen. The acreage included the present town of Allendale, which is presumed to have derived its name from the Allen family.
Allendale post office was established here July 11, 1849; Paul H. Allen was the first postmaster. By 1873 the Port Royal Railroad had completed a line through Allendale, and that same year the town was incorporated by the South Carolina General Assembly. The town limits extended in a three-quarter mile radius from the depot.
Erected 1980 by Allendale Civic League. (Marker Number 3-5.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1762.
Location. 33° 0.289′ N, 81° 18.963′ W. Marker is in Allendale, South Carolina, in Allendale County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 301), on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1296 South Main Street, Allendale SC 29810, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Happy Home Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Old Allendale (approx. 2.3 miles away); Smyrna Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Bethlehem Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Allendale County War Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Fairfax (approx. 5.6 miles away); Barker's Mill / Skirmish at Barker's Mill (approx. 5.9 miles away); Concord Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allendale.
Also see . . . Allendale County and Allendale. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,602 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.