Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alachua in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Newnansville Town Site

 
 
Newnansville Town Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
1. Newnansville Town Site Marker


Inscription.  At the end of 1824, Alachua County was organized as a political unit of the new Territory of Florida. The Seminole inhabitants of the Alachua region had recently been ordered to a reservation, and land was available there for white settlers. Early in 1826, a post office was established in this area called "Dell's P.O." It derived its name from the Dell brothers, who had first visited the Alachua region during the "Patriot War" (1812-14) and had later returned to settle there. In 1828, the settlement near Dell's P.O. was officially made the Alachua County seat and named "Newnansville" in honor of a Patriot War hero, Daniel Newnan. Newnansville became the junction of several important trails through frontier Florida. This marker stands on the site of the Bellamy Road, a cross-Florida route authorized by Congress in 1824 as the first federal road in the new territory. During the Second Seminole War (1835-42), hundreds of displaced refugee settlers were sheltered at Newnansville and also at Ft. Gilleland, a nearby military post built in 1836.

Reverse:
After the hostilities were concluded,
Newnansville Town Site Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
2. Newnansville Town Site Marker, reverse side

Click or scan to see
this page online
Newnansville prospered as a commercial center for the expanding Middle Florida frontier. The chief products of the area were corn, cotton, and after the Civil War, citrus. Except for a few years between 1832 and 1839, Newnansville served as the Alachua County seat until 1854. In that year, the political center of the county was moved to the new railroad town of Gainesville. During the next three decades, Newnansville slowly declined in population and importance. The community was dealt a final blow in 1884 when the Savannah, Florida and Western Railroad bypassed it. A new town, Alachua, grew up near that railroad. As the years passed, the residents of Newnansville moved there or elsewhere. By the 1970's only a few traces remained of the former community. In 1974, the Newnansville Town Site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as an historic district in recognition of the importance of that nineteenth century community.
 
Erected 1976 by Alachua County Historical Commission in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-265.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
 
Location. 29° 48.228′ N, 82° 28.719′ W. Marker is in Alachua, Florida, in Alachua
Newnansville Town Site Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
3. Newnansville Town Site Marker
County. Marker is on State Road 235, on the right when traveling east. Located between Hipp Way and NW 121st Terrace. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alachua FL 32615, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newnansville Methodist Church Site (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alachua County Training School (approx. 1.1 miles away); City of Alachua (approx. 1.4 miles away); LaCrosse (approx. 5.2 miles away); LaCrosse, Florida (approx. 5.2 miles away); Spring Hill United Methodist Church / Bellamy Road (approx. 5.8 miles away); Springhill Methodist Church/Traxler, Fla. (approx. 5.8 miles away); William Henry Traxler (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alachua.
 
Regarding Newnansville Town Site. National Register of Historic Places:
Newnansville Town Site (added 1974 - - #74000608)
Also known as Fort Gilleland;Dell's;Alachua
Address Restricted , Alachua
♦ Historic Significance: Information Potential, Event, Person, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Other
♦ Historic Person: Dell,James,et al.
♦ Significant Year: 1890, 1824
♦ Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Military, Historic - Non-Aboriginal, Social History,
Agriculture
♦ Cultural
Newnansville Town Site Marker seen along Florida Route 235 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
4. Newnansville Town Site Marker seen along Florida Route 235
Affiliation: American,Rural
♦ Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Village Site
♦ Current Function: Agriculture/Subsistence, Vacant/Not In Use
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 27, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65513

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 16, 2022