Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clearfield in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Clearfield County Courthouse

 
 
Clearfield County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 27, 2013
1. Clearfield County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Clearfield County, formed March 26, 1804, was named for the clear fields found by early travelers. The first courthouse, in use for 46 years, was built circa 1814. The cornerstone for the second present courthouse was laid June 04, 1860, and finished in 1862 during the Civil War. It was constructed on the same site using materials from the first courthouse. As the oldest public building in Clearfield and the center of all county government business, it is an important historic structure.

Listed April 1979 on the National Register of Historic Places
 
Erected 2001 by The Downtown Clearfield Business District Authority and The Clearfield County Commissioners.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is March 26, 1825.
 
Location. 41° 1.33′ N, 78° 26.274′ W. Marker is in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, in Clearfield County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and Second Street (Pennsylvania Route 153), on the right when traveling west on East Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clearfield PA 16830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Clearfield County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 27, 2013
2. Clearfield County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within walking distance of this marker. The "Public Spirit" (within shouting distance of this marker); Dimeling Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bigler (within shouting distance of this marker); Kurtz Bros. Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Senator William W. Betts (about 400 feet away); Clearfield County's First Jail (about 600 feet away); Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); Murray House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clearfield.
 
Also see . . .  Clearfield County Government. (Submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Clearfield County Courthouse National Register Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 27, 2013
3. Clearfield County Courthouse National Register Marker
Clearfield County Courthouse
1860
Property placed on National Register of Historic Places
Department of Interior
April 1979
Marked by Clearfield Heritage Foundation
1984
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65559

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 6, 2021