Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rustburg in Campbell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Rustburg

 
 
Old Rustburg Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, May 24, 2013
1. Old Rustburg Marker
Inscription. Rustburg was named after Jeremiah Rust, who patented land here in 1780. Rust donated 50 acres of land, known as Rust Meadows, in 1784, for the county seat of Campbell County. A temporary courthouse and other public buildings were constructed starting in 1783 and a village grew around them. A new Classical Revival courthouse was built about 1848. In 1786, Henry Finch started an inn at his nearby home that evolved into the Fountain Hotel about 1795. It became a favorite stopping and meeting place that operated into the 20th century.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number R-62.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
 
Location. 37° 16.613′ N, 79° 6.069′ W. Marker is in Rustburg, Virginia, in Campbell County. It is on Village Highway (Route 501) near Rails End Lane (County Route 838), on the right when traveling south.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
It is in front of the courthouse. Marker is mounted with its face is parallel to the street so it is hard to spot in the distance from a moving vehicle. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rustburg VA 24588, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Piedmont and in Central Virginia. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Campbell County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Campbell County Training School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Original Site of Campbell County Training-High School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Col. Vincent W. “Squeek” Burnett (approx. 3.4 miles away); Montview (approx. 6.6 miles away); Flames Football Through the Years
Campbell County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, May 24, 2013
2. Campbell County Courthouse and Marker
(approx. 6.7 miles away); a different marker also named Flames Football Through the Years (approx. 6.7 miles away); a different marker also named Flames Football Through the Years (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rustburg.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced a marker from the 1930s with the same name and number that read “The place was named for Jeremiah Rust, who patented land here in 1780. The first courthouse of Campbell County was built here, in 1783; the present building was erected about 1848. The old ‘Fountain Hotel’ was built in 1795 and has been conducted by the Finch family ever since.”
 
Also see . . .  Campbell Chronicles and Family Sketches, Chapter IV, Small Towns and Villages. Transcript of 1927 book by R. H. Early. Rustburg is the second entry. “Long Mountain, rising above the meadow upon which the town of Rustburg is situated, at one time bore the name of Rust’s Mountain; It stretches the length of six or more miles, and a cave on one side is said to have harbored Tories and outlaws during the Revolution. It is one of two detached mountain
Campbell County Courthouse Portico image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, May 24, 2013
3. Campbell County Courthouse Portico
ranges in the county, the other being Candler’s Mountain.” (Submitted on May 28, 2013.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,416 times since then and 167 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Fountain Hotel • Can you help?
m=65564

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 31, 2026