Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

88th Indiana Infantry

 
 
88th Indiana Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 31, 2012
1. 88th Indiana Infantry Marker
Inscription.  
Indiana.
Eighty-eighth Regiment Infantry,
(Humphrey)
First Brigade. (J. Beatty)
Second Division. (Negley)
Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas)
Sunday, September 20th, 1863, 8:45 A.M.

 
Erected 1898 by the State of Indiana. (Marker Number MT-852.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1946.
 
Location. 34° 56.102′ N, 85° 15.59′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road south of Lafayette Road, on the left when traveling south. This historical marker is located along a park touring road (labeled Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road on Google maps) that runs north to south through this portion of the national park, a short distance south of the national park's visitor's center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Negley's Division (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Beatty's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 42nd Indiana Infantry
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); To The Left of the Union Line (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kentucky State Memorial (about 400 feet away); Helm's Brigade (about 400 feet away); 35th Ohio Infantry (about 400 feet away); Bridge's Illinois Battery-Light Artillery (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “This standard Indiana regimental marker consists of a 4' x 4' x 4'8" high rock-faced oolitic stone block with a peaked top and a 12" x 18" bronze plaque affixed to its front. Marks regiment's position north of Kelly Field.”

I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the monument number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on
88th Indiana Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 31, 2012
2. 88th Indiana Infantry Marker
Close-up view of the text on the historical marker.
the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System)."
 
88th Indiana Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 31, 2012
3. 88th Indiana Infantry Marker
View of the historical marker looking south along the Lafayette Road.
88th Indiana Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 31, 2012
4. 88th Indiana Infantry Marker
View of the historical marker looking north along the Lafayette Road, with the blue Negley's Division tablet just to the right (east) of the marker.
88th Indiana Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 31, 2012
5. 88th Indiana Infantry Marker
View of the Negley's Division tablet, looking west, with the historical marker in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 29, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65591

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024