Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hillsville in Carroll County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hillsville

 
 
Hillsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 25, 2013
1. Hillsville Marker
Inscription.  This place became the county seat when Carroll County was formed. The first court was held here, 1842; A. W. C. Nowlin was the first judge. The courthouse, built in 1872, was remodeled some years ago. The town was incorporated in 1900 and rechartered in 1940.
 
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number KD-12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location. 36° 45.958′ N, 80° 44.198′ W. Marker is in Hillsville, Virginia, in Carroll County. Marker is on North Main Street (U.S. 52) south of Court Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsville VA 24343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home (here, next to this marker); Hillsville Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Carroll County (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Carroll
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Woodlawn School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Woodlawn (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Stonemans (approx. 5.8 miles away); Wythe County / Carroll County (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hillsville.
 
Also see . . .  Hillsville History. “In 1845 Fielden Hale constructed a Federal-style brick home. The two-story home and 16 acres belong to Hale until 1880, when he decided to sell the home and land to James Wilkinson. It is believed that Wilkinson, an entrepreneur, operated a store out of the right side of the basement and a post office out of the left side. In the store a young man, George Carter, worked at his first job. Carter grew up and became a railroad and coal magnate. He also became the husband of Wilkinson’s daughter. Carter and his wife spent over $250,000 in 1906 adding a 3rd floor to the home, a two-story wraparound porch, and stucco. For many years the Hale-Wilkinson-Carter home was known only by the last name of the most recent owner, and many people still call it the Carter House to this day.” (Submitted on May 31, 2013.) 
 
Caroll County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 25, 2013
2. Caroll County Courthouse and Marker
Carroll County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 25, 2013
3. Carroll County Courthouse
Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 25, 2013
4. Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home
Built by Captain Fielden Lewis Hale in 1845 as his residence. Brick with four chimneys in the Federalist style. The Hales were among the wealthiest families in Carroll County when it was carved out of Grayson County in 1842. Owned by Carroll County for many years.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of other landmarks in Hillsville • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65641

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024