Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Great Guns of the Fort...
The Rodman Cannons
Installed in 1866, the Army improved the Rodman Guns with rifling (grooved barrel) a decade later. The Hydraulic cylinder and bumpers coated with rubber were added in 1888. Obsolete not long after they were installed, they were fired only for ceremonies such as the Fourth of July and Defender's Day.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 39° 15.786′ N, 76° 34.747′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. The marker is inside Fort McHenry, 2400 E Fort Ave, Baltimore along the Outer Battery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Experimental Carriages (here, next to this marker); O Say Can You See? Outer Battery (a few steps from this marker); Entering Fort McHenry ... A Deadly Crossfire (within shouting distance of this marker); 1814 Enlisted Men's Barracks, No 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bombproofs (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ravelin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Great Guns of the Fort....
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 1, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.