Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Market Square Presbyterian Church

 
 
Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  With its roots dating to 1794 and having evolved from the earlier Paxton Presbyterian Church east of the city in what would become Paxtang, the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg originally met in rooms of the old jail, on Walnut Street, and in the first Courthouse, on Market Street. The congregation's first church building was erected in 1809 on the northeast corner of S. Second Street and Cherry Alley just a block to the south of the present building. Rebuilt in 1842, the Church continued to serve the congregation until it was destroyed by fire in 1858. The fire resulted in a portion of the congregation going its separate way through the formation of the Pine Street Presbyterian Church at Third and Pine Streets. The remaining congregation erected this church building, the Market Square Presbyterian Church in 1859. Having the tallest church spire in the city rising to 193 feet, the building is designed in the Romanesque style and along with the State Capitol Building, was the most prominent feature of the city skyline depicted in 19th Century prints and photographs. Its sanctuary, cast all in white is majestic through its simplicity and trueness
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to its original appearance, and is the site of nationally acclaimed musical performances. The Church has a timeless presence, as it is the oldest building now standing on Market Square.
Top Photo
Market Square Presbyterian Church in the 1870's.
Bottom Photo
Church spire towers over the original homes and storefronts on the southwestern quadrant of Market Square in this pre-1899 view.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
 
Location. 40° 15.569′ N, 76° 52.881′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Between Blackberry and Market. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Johnston Building & Menaker Building (a few steps from this marker); Abraham Lincoln (a few steps from this marker); The Jones House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hilton Harrisburg and Towers (within shouting
Market Square Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Market Square Presbyterian Church
distance of this marker); a different marker also named Market Square Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Prelude To Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Capital Of The Keystone State Preserved! (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, December 21, 2008
3. Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker
Interior of church building at Christmastime.
Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, March 30, 2006
4. Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker
The church as seen from the opposite side of Market Square.
Market Square Presbyterian Church Organ image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, January 8, 2010
5. Market Square Presbyterian Church Organ
The M.P. Moller organ of 1991 is located in the rear gallery of the church sanctuary.
Market Square Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joseph Hoxie
6. Market Square Presbyterian Church
This is a scan of the architect Joseph Hoxie's original drawing of the church. Hoxie also designed the first railroad station in Harrisburg.
Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, March 13, 2011
7. Market Square Presbyterian Church Marker
Interior of the church, virtually unchanged since 1860.
Market Square Presbyterian Church Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, circa April 24, 2022
8. Market Square Presbyterian Church Sanctuary
Gallery and J. Nedra Schilling (Memorial) Organ/Orgues Létourneau Opus 136 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ollie Silver, April 12, 2022
9. Gallery and J. Nedra Schilling (Memorial) Organ/Orgues Létourneau Opus 136
Tiffany Window image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, November 23, 2008
10. Tiffany Window
The Ascension of Christ is depicted in this early 20th century window by the Tiffany Studios of New York City.
Market Square Presbyterian Church stained glass, "Resurrection," English, late 19th century image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Dorko, January 14, 2010
11. Market Square Presbyterian Church stained glass, "Resurrection," English, late 19th century
Market Square Presbyterian Church stained glass, "In My Father's House Are Many Mansions." image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Dorko, January 24, 2010
12. Market Square Presbyterian Church stained glass, "In My Father's House Are Many Mansions."
Glass by Mary Tillinghast, late 19th century.
Market Square Presbyterian Church Bronze Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, October 13, 2023
13. Market Square Presbyterian Church Bronze Plaque
This bronze plaque is located at the northeast corner of the church building, placed by the church Archives Committee.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,961 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on August 2, 2009, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   5, 6. submitted on May 8, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   7. submitted on March 14, 2011, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   8, 9. submitted on January 23, 2023, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   10. submitted on April 9, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   11, 12. submitted on March 16, 2011, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.   13. submitted on March 20, 2015, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6576

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024