Whitetop in Grayson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“Virginia Creeper” Railroad
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number UE-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 36° 35.977′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whitetop VA 24292, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christmas Tree Farms (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Cove Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); “Maud Bows to The Virginia Creeper” (approx. 1.7 miles away); Whitetop (approx. 1.8 miles away); White Top Folk Festival (approx. 3 miles away); Konnarock Training School (1924~1959) (approx. 5.1 miles away); John Deere Mower Model 2 (approx. 7½ miles away); Grayson County (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitetop.
Regarding “Virginia Creeper” Railroad. This railroad line had the highest point on rails east of the Rocky Mountains ever reached by a scheduled passenger train, 3,557 feet above sea level.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry for the Virginia Creeper Trail. “The trail runs on a rail right-of-way dating to the 1880s — first belonging to the Abingdon Coal and Iron Railroad. After investing sizable capital without actually opening, that company
“In February 1900, the Virginia-Carolina Railway began operating in Damascus, Virginia. By 1912, the railroad extended to Whitetop and by the end of the decade to Elkland, North Carolina (now Todd). The train ran to Todd until 1933, when the terminus moved to West Jefferson.
“In 1957 the last steam engine retired, replaced by diesel powered engines. By 1974, the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company petitioned the Interstate Commerce Commission to abandon the line. In 1977 hard rains flooded and damaged most of the line, which was left un-repaired.
“In 1977 removal of the track began and the land in Virginia was secured by the US Forest Service for a recreation trail. The land in North Carolina was returned to the land owners. In Virginia, the right-of-way is owned by the Towns of Abingdon and Damascus, and by the National Park Service and the National Forest Service.” (Submitted on June 8, 2013.)
2. . 1965 article by Richard Smith in the Washington County News Excerpt: “This train follows its twin ribbons of steel into a land (Submitted on June 8, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.