Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Calhoun in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Site in Journalism

The Cherokee Phoenix

 
 
Historic Site in Journalism Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Abel, May 29, 2013
1. Historic Site in Journalism Marker
Inscription.  

The Cherokee Nation of Indians established the first Indian-language newspaper, the Cherokee Phoenix, on this site in 1828. Edited by Cherokee Elias Boudinot and later by Elijah Hicks, the Cherokee Phoenix was printed bi-lingually in the Sequoyan Syllabary adopted by the Cherokees, and in English, during the period 1828-1834.

Marked this 30th day of October, 1971.
 
Erected 1971 by Sigma Delta Chi, Professional Journalistic Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicCommunicationsNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Historic Sites in Journalism series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1971.
 
Location. 34° 32.447′ N, 84° 54.575′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker can be reached from Georgia Route 225, half a mile Newtown Church Road NE, on the right when traveling east. The plaque is on a wall in an open courtyard at the entrance of the visitor’s center at the New Echota Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calhoun GA 30701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trail of Tears (a few steps from this marker); New Echota (a few steps from this marker); Cherokee Indian Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Hicks/McCoy House Sites (within shouting distance of this marker); New Echota Ferry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Echota Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Sequoyah (approx. 1.7 miles away); Calhoun War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calhoun.
 
More about this marker. Other markers, mostly commemorative plaques, also adorn the wall.
 
Historic Site in Journalism Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Abel, May 29, 2013
2. Historic Site in Journalism Marker
The open courtyard at the entrance to the visitor's center at New Echota Historic Site.
Elias Cornelius Boudinot image. Click for full size.
Internet Archive
3. Elias Cornelius Boudinot
from The Biographical Dictionary of America, 1906, by Rossiter Johnson.
Historic Site in Journalism Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Abel, May 29, 2013
4. Historic Site in Journalism Marker
The marker is accessible by walking from the parking lot, along SR 225, towards the visitor's center. It hangs in an open courtyard just to the left of the railing at the end of the walk.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 633 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.   3. submitted on July 3, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4. submitted on June 10, 2013, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65819

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024