Kenosha in Kenosha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Warters Towslee, Sydney Roberts and Chas W. Turner, Representatives of the Western Emigration Company of Hannibal, New York, arrived at the mouth of Pike Creek on this island in June, 1835, fulfilling their mission of finding a good harbor and good farming country where they could take up permanent residence. This new little town was called Pike. A few years later the name was changed to Southport, and in 1850, when it became a city, it took a new name--Kenosha, an Indian name for Pike.
Erected 2004 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1835.
Location. 42° 35.443′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenosha WI 53140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Simmon's Island Beach House (within shouting distance of this marker); Simmons Island Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Remember Pearl Harbor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Vessels (approx. 0.3 miles away); Naval Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenosha.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2013. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 8, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on June 14, 2013. 3. submitted on September 8, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.