Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmyra in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Martin Harris Farm

 
 
Martin Harris Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
1. Martin Harris Farm Marker
Inscription.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was founded in this area, and Martin Harris was a leading figure in its early history. He helped publish the Book of Mormon. Martin Harris was born 18 May 1783 in Easttown, Saratoga County New York. ln 1792 his father Nathan Harris, brought the family here and became one of the first settlers of the Palmyra area. ln 1813, at the age of 30, Martin was given 320 acres of his father’s farm. He prospered and was active in community affairs.

ln 1827 he hired Joseph Smith Sr. and his sons to work on the farm. The elder Smith and his son Hyrum dug the well at the front of the house. Another son, Joseph Jr. worked with Martin Harris in the fields for $.50 a day. During this time Martin heard the story of Joseph's visions and believed them to be of divine origin.

When Joseph Smith Jr. translated the record that became the Book of Mormon, Martin Harris was one of his first scribes and helped pay expenses. Harris mortgaged part of his farm to pay for the book's publication in 1829. After the translation was finished, he was one of three witnesses who were visited by an angel and who testified
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the divinity of the book and its message. He bore a strong testimony of that visitation to his dying day 10 July 1875.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureChurches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is May 18, 1783.
 
Location. 43° 5.015′ N, 77° 14.378′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, New York, in Wayne County. Marker is on Maple Avenue, 0.2 miles south of Division Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2095 Maple Avenue, Palmyra NY 14522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Stone House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Martin Harris Farm (here, next to this marker); Palmer Homestead (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); First School House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Market Street Historic District (approx. 1.4 miles away); World War I Mortar (approx. 1.4 miles away); Admiral William T. Sampson Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmyra.
 
Martin Harris Farm House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
2. Martin Harris Farm House
See "Lake Stone House" marker for details on the construction of this (and similar) homes.
Martin Harris Farm Marker approach from north image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
3. Martin Harris Farm Marker approach from north
Martin Harris Farm Marker approach from south image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Yugoboy, October 13, 2012
4. Martin Harris Farm Marker approach from south
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. This page has been viewed 808 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 17, 2013, by Yugoboy of Rochester, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66071

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024