Pon Pon Chapel
Serving the Community for Many Years
During a visit in April 1737, John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist Church, preached twice at the chapel. (photo included) Wesley wrote in his diary about how impressed he was to have had so many from so far to hear his gospel.
Unfortunately, this church was burned during the American Revolution. According to some records, it was rebuilt between 1819 and 1822, (Picture included) and was used until 1832 when it was again destroyed by fire. The site is often referred to today as "The Burnt Church." No effort was made to rebuild the chapel.
Family members continued to use the cemetery. Buried in the cemetery are O'Brien Smith and Aedanus Burke. Smith,
(Photo of Pon Pon Chapel ruins prior to stabilization)
The chapel and four acres were deeded to the Colleton Historical Society in 1970 to celebrate the Tricentennial of South Carolina. With additional interest, the Society received a grant from S.C. Archives and History in 1975 to repair the wall of the chapel which had been severely damaged by hurricane Gracie in 1959. The Society in cooperation with others holds various events on the site throughout the year.
(Map of 1775 showing location of earliest St. Bartholomew's chapel on Chehaw)
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor series list.
Location. 32° 48.527′ N, 80° 29.397′ W. Marker is in Jacksonboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on Parkers Ferry Road. Located in the woods 0.1 miles northeast of Jacksonboro Road (State Road 15-40). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonboro SC 29452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 6, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.