Salem in Columbiana County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge / Teegarden
The Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge, constructed primarily of white oak is of Multiple King Post design spanning 67 feet. It was built nearly 100 years after the birth of the nation. Located on Eagleton Road, just off Teegarden Road, it is still at its original location, spanning the Middle Fork of the Little Beaver Creek in Eagleton's Glen Park. It remained in use until 1992 when it was bypassed by a new concrete structure. The official contract for the construction of the bridge was awarded to Jeremiah C. Mountz in June of 1875. The stonework for the abutments was awarded to David Reese and painting of the original structure to George W. Akin in 1876. Members of Highland Christian Church came here to be baptized by immersion. There were over 250 covered bridges in Columbiana County, including at least 16 railroad covered bridges. The Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge is one of only five still remaining.
A small village called Teegarden, founded by Prussian immigrants and named after the
Erected 2003 by Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge Association, Columbiana County Engineer's Office, Columbiana County Commissioners, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-15.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1875.
Location. 40° 49.316′ N, 80° 49.614′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem OH 44460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone House (approx. 3˝ miles away); Rebecca Furnace (approx. 3˝ miles away); Salem (approx. 4˝ miles away); Ohio's Oldest Brick Building (approx. 4.6 miles away); Civil War Naval Cannon (approx. 4.6 miles away); Firestone Bros. Bankers (approx. 4.6 miles away); Unserheim (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cherry Valley Coke Ovens (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 760 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 7, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.