Fort Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Capital of Kansas Territory
of the first capital
Territory of Kansas
Governor Andrew H. Reeder
October 7, to November 21, 1854
Erected 1941 by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Kansas.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list.
Location. 39° 21.458′ N, 94° 55.003′ W. Marker is in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of McPherson Avenue and Riverside Avenue, on the right when traveling east on McPherson Avenue. Marker is opposite the old US Disciplinary Barracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Leavenworth KS 66027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Blockhouse (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leigh Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post Riding Hall Zais Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grant (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Fe and Oregon Trails (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Oregon and Santa Fe Trails (approx. ¼ mile away); Elizabeth Schenck Smith House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Leavenworth.
More about this marker. Public access to the post is possible with proper identification, subject to U.S. Army regulations.
Also see . . .
1. Andrew Horatio Reeder Bio. (Submitted on July 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. (Submitted on July 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.