Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The First Congregational Church of Melbourne

 
 
The First Congregational Church of Melbourne Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Cox, July 18, 2013
1. The First Congregational Church of Melbourne Marker
Inscription.  The First Congregational Church of Melbourne had its beginnings in 1887 when Edward Branch and his wife Abbie began to hold regular Bible study and worship meetings. In December 1887, five men and seven women signed a covenant that was the first step toward construction of a church building. In 1892, local businessman W. H. Powell donated a corner lot on Second Street (Strawbridge) and Washington Street (U.S. Hwy. 1) for a church. The church, a frame building with a steeple, was designed by R. J. Anderson, a local builder and was completed in 1893 at a cost of $2,065. Records show that exactly $2,512.12 was collected for the church's construction. The leftover funds were used to start an organ fund. The first church service was held on Sunday, July 2, 1893. In 1929, the church was greatly expanded by four large stucco-covered additions, and in 1959 stained glass windows were added. Between 1960 and 1999, the building served as the United Church of Christ-Congregational. On January 3, 2000, the building was sold to His Place Ministries East Coast, Inc., for continued use as a church.

A Florida Heritage Site
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2013 by The Brevard County Historical Commission The Brevard County Tourist Development Council and The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-767.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1818.
 
Location. 28° 4.795′ N, 80° 36.228′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Strawbridge Avenue (U.S. 192) and U.S. 1, on the right when traveling west on Strawbridge Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Melbourne FL 32901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of the 1900 Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carleton Hotel - Idlewylde Hotel (about 500 feet away); Florida East Coast Railroad (about 700 feet away); Campbell Park (about 700 feet away); Trysting Steps and Bluff Walk (about 800 feet away); Myles Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Front Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Causeway (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
 
The First Congregational Church of Melbourne image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Cox, July 18, 2013
2. The First Congregational Church of Melbourne
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66831

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024