Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
(Now the Florida Air Academy)
Purchased in 1926 by the Widrig brothers, additions were made to the building and it became the Lincoln Hotel. The hopes of the Widrigs to make Melbourne another Palm Beach with their beautiful hostelry, did not materialize.
In 1957 the hotel was sold to A. J. Rimer who renamed it the Belcelona Hotel. It operated under this name until 1961 when it was sold to Jonathan Dwight to become Florida Air Academy.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 28° 4.767′ N, 80° 37.683′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is on South Academy Drive, 0.1 miles north of U.S. 192. Note that Academy Drive is closed to through traffic. To visit the marker, approach from the south (US 192). Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Trinity (approx. 0.3 miles away); Land Yacht Port-O-Call (approx. half a mile away); Site of First Permanent Log Cabin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Naval Air Station Melbourne (approx. 0.9 miles away); United States Army (approx. 0.9 miles away); United States Marine Corps (approx. 0.9 miles away); United States Navy (approx. 0.9 miles away); United States Air Force (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
Additional keywords. school
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 674 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2013, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.