Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Coleman in Sumter County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Adamsville

Historic Marker

 
 
Adamsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 9, 2011
1. Adamsville Marker
Inscription.  Sumter County was created by an act of the Florida Legislature on January 8, 1853. The new county was created from the southern part of Marion County and contained a large segment on what is now Lake County. The community of Adamsville was selected as the first county seat. Near this site was erected a log building to serve as the courthouse until the county seat was moved to Sumterville in 1858.

The officers appointed by governor Madison S. Perry included D.G. Leigh, Clerk of the Circuit Court, Wilson C. Williams, Judge of Probate, Solomon Hall, Tax Assessor and Collector, J.S. Kilgore, County Surveyor, E.H. Crow, Sheriff. Members to serve as county commissioners included, F.W. Durrance, D.B. Chapman, L.B. Branch, W. Carruthers, and James Weeks. Appointed to serve as justices of the peace included J.A. Lee, J.G. Hall, Moses Daniel, James A. Collins, and R.W. Giskins.
 
Erected 1982 by Sumter County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1813.
 
Location. 28° 47.976′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 82° 1.383′ W. Marker is near Coleman, Florida, in Sumter County. Marker is on County Road 468, 2 miles east of U.S. 301, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coleman FL 33521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Baker House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Bank of Wildwood (approx. 4˝ miles away); Sumterville (approx. 4.6 miles away); Oak Grove Cemetery Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Casino (approx. 7.8 miles away); Veterans of All Wars (approx. 7.8 miles away); Royal School Site (approx. 7.9 miles away); Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 8.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Located in front of the Adamsville Community Cemetery.
 
Adamsville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James R. Murray, September 27, 2014
2. Adamsville Marker
Marker has been landscaped and resigned. It is located at the entrance to the Adamsville Baptist Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 993 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 19, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.   2. submitted on September 27, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66858

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024