Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nebraska City in Otoe County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept.

Oldest Fire Department in Nebraska

— Organized in 1856 —

 
 
Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 23, 2013
1. Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept. Marker
Inscription.  

This fire alarm bell was used in Nebraska City from 1895 until 1964. It was purchased by the City of Nebraska City on November 18, 1875, from the E. W. Van Duzen Co., Buckeye Bell Foundry, Cincinnati, Ohio for $115.16 to replace a previous bell. Survived the fire of 1901 in which the fire station and city hall were totally destroyed. The original fire station was located at 110 North 6th Street until relocated to its present site in December 1972. The bell was removed from the roof of the original fire station and erected at this location on July 4, 1975 by members of the Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Department.
 
Erected by Nebraska City Rotary Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells, and the Rotary International series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1926.
 
Location. 40° 40.61′ N, 95° 51.739′ W. Marker is in Nebraska City, Nebraska, in Otoe County. Marker is on Central Avenue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
west of 13th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1320 Central Avenue, Nebraska City NE 68410, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nebraska City Museum of Firefighting (here, next to this marker); This ELI Windmill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Masons of Nebraska Territory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother Church of Methodism in Nebraska (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church Original 1855 Wall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother Church of Nebraska Methodism (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Mary's (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nebraska City.
 
Also see . . .
1. Nebraska City Museum of Firefighting. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Department. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 23, 2013
2. Nebraska City Volunteer Fire Dept. Marker
At Nebraska City Museum of Firefighting
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=66942

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024