Near Wildwood in Sumter County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Royal School Site
Royal Community Park is the site of the former segregated Royal School. Founded in 1865, the community of Royal was originally known as Picketsville, which was named for the white picket fences that marked its 40-acre homesteads. It was settled by former slaves from the Old Green Plantation located on the Withlacoochee River. The settlement was called Royal by the late 1880s and the community's post office was established on June 26, 1891. Royal's first industries were farming, logging, and naval stores. In 1874, the Reverend Alfred Brown built the community's first school, a one-room schoolhouse. Because the school was centrally located, children, staff, and teachers were able to walk to school. Later, a three-room school constructed of wooden planks and board windows was built. Perman E. Williams, the school's first officially appointed principal, served during the 1937-38 school year. Men from the community, along with Principal Williams, served as trustees for the school. During the 1930s, the trustees requested and received approval from the Sumter County School Board to build a new Royal school.
The last and largest Royal
Erected 2010 by The Royal Library Association, Sumter Board of County Commissioners, Sumter,LLC, T&D Concrete,Inc., Young Performing Artists,Inc., and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-700.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1838.
Location. 28° 53.743′ N, 82° 5.682′ W. Marker is near Wildwood, Florida, in Sumter County. Marker is on NE 5th St 0.1 miles north of County Road 462, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in the Royal Community northwest of the city of Wildwood and east of I-75. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wildwood FL 34785, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Grove Cemetery Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Baker House (approx. 6.9 miles away); Adamsville (approx. 7.9 miles away); Lady Lake Train Depot (approx. 10˝ miles away); Sumterville (approx. 10.6 miles away); Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 10.8 miles away); The Casino (approx. 11.3 miles away); Landbridge West (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wildwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.