New Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church
Formerly located on Washington Street, this first permanent home for the parish was dedicated on March 9, 1919, although Mass had been celebrated since 1913 in temporary locations by priests from Saint Leo Abbey. Father Felix Ullrich, OSB, was its first priest and labored here until 1932. Originally built facing south, the church was heavily damaged by a hurricane in 1921. It lifted the building and left it facing west and removed the belfry. Father Felix, who was praying at the time, escaped unharmed. He surveyed the structure's condition and said, "Well, if that's the way God wants it, we'll just have to leave it that way." The parish moved into a new building on Allamanda Drive in 1966. This building was moved here in 2001 by the city of New Port Richey and restoration was completed in 2005.
Erected 2008 by Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1877.
Location. 28° 15.124′ N, 82° 43.309′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rogersville AL 35652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sims Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oelsner Mound (approx. 1½ miles away); Pine Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Green Key (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old Elfers School (approx. 2.2 miles away); West Elfers Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Baker House (approx. 3 miles away); Seven Springs (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Port Richey.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 28, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.