Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fitzpatrick in Bullock County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church

(Church of the Seven Sisters)

— 1858 —

 
 
Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 29, 2013
1. Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Lacking an established church nearby, pioneer families of the Fitzpatrick community into the mid-19th century took turns hosting worship services in their homes on Sunday mornings. "The Church of the Seven Sisters" was established in 1858 by seven women of the community - Mrs. Phillips Bernard Baldwin (Martha Ann Thompson), Mrs. David Graves Fitzpatrick (Sara Ann Hooks), Mrs. John Campbell (Catherine Celia Hooks) Mrs. William Cicero Hufham (Nancy Henry Gholston), Mrs. Gordon Sanford Bunkley (Lucinda Morris Keene), Mrs. John William Templeton Reid (Celia Julia Fitzpatrick) and Mrs. Robert F. Ligon. Three of the "sisters" were Methodist, two were Baptist, one was Presbyterian, and one an Episcopalian, so it was founded as a Methodist Church. Albert G. Wray deeded one-and-one-half acres for the original building for one dollar. After the Montgomery and Eufaula railroad was built through Fitzpatrick in the 1870s, the church building was moved here from its nearby site. Placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage, 1978.
 
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 32° 13.077′ N, 85° 53.322′ W. Marker is in Fitzpatrick, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is on Fitzpatrick Road, half a mile north of Alabama Route 110, on the right when traveling north. Fitzpatrick Rd is also known as Bullock County Rd 7. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fitzpatrick AL 36029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brewer Memorial Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Jonesville Community (approx. 9.4 miles away); Fort Davis Railroad Depot / Fort Davis Community (approx. 10.6 miles away); Elizabeth Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 10.7 miles away); Mt. Hilliard Methodist Church (approx. 10.9 miles away); Mt. Hilliard (approx. 11 miles away); Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 11 miles away); Bullock County Courthouse Historic District (approx. 11.3 miles away).
 
Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 29, 2013
2. Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 203 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67158

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 22, 2024