Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens

 
 
German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2013
1. German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens Marker (Front)
Inscription.  
(Front Side)
Many of Indiana's German immigrants settled in southwestern Marion County during the mid-1800s and began greenhouses and truck gardens on Bluff Road; area grew to major boundaries of Harding, Raymond, Madison, and Banta streets. Family owners formed organizations for collective bargaining power, uniform product quality, and members' health and death benefits.

(Back Side)
German Gardeners Benefit Society founded 1867. "Hoosier Boy" trade name used by 87 businesses of Marion County Greenhouse Growers Association, founded 1920. Area was one of largest concentrations of winter tomato and lettuce production under glass in U.S. Refrigerated transportation contributed to closure of many growers' businesses. Greenhouses still a part of the economic life of this area.
 
Erected 1998 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Indpls. Gardeners Benefit Soc., Marion Co. Greenhouse Growers Assn., and Indpls. Vegetable Growers Assn. (Marker Number 49.1998.3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry
German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens Marker (Back) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2013
2. German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens Marker (Back)
Click or scan to see
this page online
Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 39° 42.435′ N, 86° 10.229′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Bluff Road and W. Hanna Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Bluff Road. Marker is located on the west side of Bluff Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 555 W Hanna Ave, Indianapolis IN 46217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chevrolet Brothers (approx. 1.7 miles away); “Cannon Ball” Baker (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bates-Hendricks House (approx. 2.9 miles away); John Muir in Indianapolis (approx. 3.6 miles away); Holy Rosary - Danish Church Historic District (approx. 3.7 miles away); 28th Regiment USCT (approx. 3.7 miles away); Sarah T. Bolton (approx. 3.8 miles away); Manufacturing for Transportation (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
 
German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2013
3. German Greenhouses and Truck Gardens Marker
Near intersection of Bluff Road and W. Hanna Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 31, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67188

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 30, 2021