Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pine Street Presbyterian Church

 
 
Pine Street Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
1. Pine Street Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  After having split from the Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg in 1858, the newly formed congregation, which built this church, first met in the Chambers of the Pennsylvania State Senate. Completed in 1860, the limestone-constructed Pine Street Presbyterian Church was designed in the English gothic style by Harrisburg architect Luther M. Simon and was a remembered part of the cityscape for Union soldiers encamped in Capitol Park across the street. The building was further enhanced in a more exuberant expression of the Gothic tradition when in 1926 the renowned New York and Boston architectural firm of Cram and Ferguson removed the second floor sanctuary, relocated it on the ground floor of the building and raised the roof, creating a striking clerestory space reminiscent of the medieval English church. The vast interior is awe-inspiring through the richly carved woodwork, exposed beams and rafters, beautifully executed collection of stained glass windows and fine acoustics particularly experienced through the sound of the church's grand pipe organ. Many sacred and secular musical performances by nationally and internationally know artists are
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
held here.
Top Photo
Post card view of the Church's Third Street facade from Capitol Park prior to the 1926 renovations
Bottom Left Photo
1901 view showing the Church prior to the raising of the roof to the current clerestory configuration.
Bottom Right Photo
Early drawing of the Church shortly after its construction.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 40° 15.777′ N, 76° 53.038′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of Third Street and Pine Street, on the right when traveling north on Third Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Payne-Shoemaker Building (a few steps from this marker); The Old Executive, Library & Museum Building (a few steps from this marker); John Frederick Hartranft (within shouting distance of this marker); 104th Cavalry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Capitol (about 400 feet away); Public Sector Unionism
Pine Street Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
2. Pine Street Presbyterian Church
Photo taken from the Capitol grounds.
(about 400 feet away); Grace United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Present State Capitol Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Pine Street Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, November 1, 2009
3. Pine Street Presbyterian Church
The church is seen from a nearby garage at dusk.
Pine Street Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, November 1, 2009
4. Pine Street Presbyterian Church
The choir and organ are located in a gallery at the front of the church.
Pine Street Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John K. Robinson, November 15, 2008
5. Pine Street Presbyterian Church
The rear gallery houses the Tuba stop of the church's organ.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,586 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   3, 4, 5. submitted on April 9, 2010, by John K. Robinson of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6719

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024