Youngstown in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Father Pierre Millet
Father Pierre Millet,
French Jesuit Priest
Missionary to the Iroquois and Chaplain at Fort Niagara
Who, Here, on Good Friday 1688
Erected a Cross
Invoking God's mercy for the plague-stricken garrison.
Erected by Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree, Sixth New York District, Calvert Province.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1688.
Location. 43° 15.815′ N, 79° 3.781′ W. Marker is in Youngstown, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Scott Avenue north of Jackson Street (New York State Route 18F) when traveling north. This historical marker is located a short drive north of the downtown Youngstown area, in the Fort Niagara State Park. According to Google Map it is located at the end of the Scott Avenue loop, and is one of the markers seen when visiting Old Fort Niagara (next to the large cross overlooking the Lake Ontario shoreline). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Youngstown NY 14174, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Unknown Defenders of Old Fort Niagara (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration of the Rush - Bagot Treaty (within shouting distance of this marker); The "Castle" of Fort Niagara (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Salle (about 500 feet away); Magasin à Poudre (about 600 feet away); The Niagara Portage: Gateway to the West (about 700 feet away); Morrow Plaza (about 800 feet away); The Siege of Fort Niagara (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Youngstown.
Also see . . .
1. Pierre Millet. This is a link to information provided by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on August 7, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Pierre Millet. This is a link to information provided by the Catholic Encyclopedia. (Submitted on August 7, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 7, 2013, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.