Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rawson in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Rawson and the Railroads /

The Rawson Heritage

 
 
Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 19, 2013
1. Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker
Inscription.  

Front Side:

Rawson and the Railroads

The original town plat of Rawson was filed on February 3, 1855, consisting of fifty-five lots in sections 13 and 14 of Union Township, Hancock County on the Frederick Keller and George J. Kelly farms. Several residential and business structures were built in anticipation of completion of a railroad rumored to pass from Fremont through the "Rawson" area on its way to the western boundary of Ohio. Farmers Keller and Kelly named their village Rawson after L.Q. Rawson, President of the railroad company, hoping that the name would encourage him to build through their area. Financial troubles delayed construction causing a standstill in Rawson. Seventeen years later the first locomotive arrived in Rawson, spurring new construction. At that time the railroad was called the Lake Erie and Louisville; in 1879 it was changed to the Lake Erie and Western and in 1922 became part of the Nickel Plate Railroad.

Reverse Side:

The Rawson Heritage

When local residents heard the shrill blast of the steam whistle sounding from the first locomotive
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to arrive in Rawson in 1872, they thought that their small hamlet was finally assured of growth and prosperity. Fire, however, the plague of towns everywhere, almost destroyed Rawson in 1887. In a matter of hours nearly every building, especially those in the business district, was consumed by flames. Without the aid of the Lake Erie and Western Railroad, which transported a hose cart and men from Findlay, the town would have burned to the ground. Determined towns people rebuilt Rawson adding new features. The Depot was built in 1898, and the Western Ohio Electric Railroad, an interurban line, connected Rawson to major urban centers from 1906 to 1932. In 1937 wells in Stringfellow's Grove began supplying water to the town. This site later became a park, and on June 11, 1951, the Nickel Plate Depot was relocated here.
 
Erected 1993 by Village of Rawson-Historic Preservation Guild-Hancock Park District and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-32.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1992.
 
Location. 40° 57.183′ N, 83° 47.017′ W. Marker is in Rawson, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker
Rawson Heritage-Side 2 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 19, 2013
2. Rawson Heritage-Side 2 Marker
is on Elm Street east of Liberty Street. This marker is located in the Village of Rawson Community Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rawson OH 45881, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Bell Tower (approx. 4.9 miles away); Schwartz Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away); Cob Lake (approx. 6.4 miles away); Cob Lake World War II Honor Roll (approx. 6.8 miles away); Shipwreck History (approx. 6.8 miles away); Celebrating Our Heritage Mural (approx. 6.9 miles away); Boehr Block (approx. 6.9 miles away); Bluffton (approx. 7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The reverse side of this marker is The Rawson Heritage
 
Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 19, 2013
3. Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker
Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 19, 2013
4. Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker
Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, July 19, 2013
5. Rawson and the Railroads-Side 1 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67548

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024