Wilson in Wilson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1979 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-54.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Communications.
Location. 35° 43.772′ N, 77° 54.629′ W. Marker is in Wilson, North Carolina, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of Vance Street NE and Maplewood Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Vance Street NE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NC 27893, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Fletcher Bruton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alpheus Branch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hackney Wagon Company (approx. ¼ mile away); The Wilson Times (approx. ¼ mile away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry G. Connor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilson County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Military Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding P.D. Gold.
In the late 1860s, Gold decided to change his church affiliation and switched from the Missionary Baptist Church, or “New School,” to the Primitive Baptist Church, or the “Old School.” He joined the Kehukee Primitive Baptist Church of Halifax, home of the state’s most active Primitive Baptist organization. Gold was such a dynamic personality in his new calling that he joined the church, was baptized, ordained, and preached a sermon all in the same day. As part of his new mission, he co-founded a newspaper called Zion’s Landmark in 1867 with L. I. Bodenheimer. Gold became associate editor
Gold also served the Primitive Baptist Church as a pastor throughout the state and was seen by contemporaries as a leading figure in the North Carolina church. His home on Maplewood Avenue in
Wilson served as his base of operations, where he published Zion’s Landmark and also founded the P. D. Gold Publishing Company in 1902. His publishing company issued the Daily Times and the Semi-Weekly Times and was later incorporated as The Wilson Daily Times Publishing Company.
In 1863, while Gold served as a missionary Baptist pastor in Goldsboro, he met and married his first
wife, Julia Pipkin. The couple had eleven children before Julia’s death in 1913. Gold later married Eugenia Burton of Winston-Salem, who died in 1940. P. D. Gold died in 1920 and is buried at Maplewood Cemetery in Wilson. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.