Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Greenville in Madison County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Concord Missionary Baptist Church

Site of the Founding of the Florida Baptist Convention

 
 
Concord Missionary Baptist Church Marker-Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 31, 2013
1. Concord Missionary Baptist Church Marker-Side 1
Inscription.  (side 1)
For the glory of God, the church was constituted June 20, 1841. The charter members were: Richard J. and Eliza Mays; Joshua W.P. and Mary McCall; William T., Elizabeth and Harriet Johnson; black servants, Elbert, Phillis, Marmadore, April, Marshall and Nancy. Elders Alex Mosely and John Broome assisted in the Constitution. The church and cemeteries are on 20 acres of land given by Richard J. Mays. West Florida and Alachua Associational Delegates meeting with Florida Association here November 20, 1854, formed the Florida Baptist Convention.

(side 2)
Concord Church helped organize The Florida Baptist Association at Indian Springs, March 2, 1843. It has had a prominent role in the Mercer Baptist Association. Very early it gave support to The Union Meetings and Christian Education. The Negro members lettered out and formed New Canaan Church under leadership of Horace Joseph shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War. Strong in leadership, firm in discipline, a Monument to God's Grace, Concord Church has been active for 132 consecutive years.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1973 by Concord Missionary Baptist Church in cooperation with the Madison County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 2003.
 
Location. 30° 36.617′ N, 83° 32.12′ W. Marker is near Greenville, Florida, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest 140th Street and Northwest Heron Drive, on the left when traveling north on Northwest 140th Street. Northwest 140th Street is also known as Concord Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville FL 32331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shiloh Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Columbia Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away in Georgia); John Hicks and Hickstown (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Town of Greenville (approx. 11.3 miles away); Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 11˝ miles away in Georgia); Ray Charles Childhood Home (approx. 11.8 miles away); Madison Oak Ridge Cemetery (approx. 11.8 miles away); "The Dream House" (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
Concord Missionary Baptist Church Marker-Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 31, 2013
2. Concord Missionary Baptist Church Marker-Side 2
Concord Missionary Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, July 31, 2013
3. Concord Missionary Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67604

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024