Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coalville in Summit County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Old Rock School House

 
 
Old Rock School House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 6, 2013
1. Old Rock School House Marker
Inscription.  First public building in Summit County, built in 1865, originally used as county building, meeting house and amusement hall, later, as school house dedicated by President Brigham Young in the fall of 1868. Summit Stake was organized in this building July 9, 1877, with W.W. Cluff as President, George Snyder First and Alma Eldredge Second Counselors. The building had a belfry and large bell that was used for alarm and curfew. The bell was last rung on the morning that the World War armistice was signed, November 11, 1918.
 
Erected 1936 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 9, 1904.
 
Location. 40° 54.857′ N, 111° 23.852′ W. Marker is in Coalville, Utah, in Summit County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Main Street and W 100 S Street (Utah Route 280), on the right when traveling south on S. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coalville UT 84017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
7 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Founding of Coalville City (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fort and Hoyt Grist Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Road to Zion (approx. 5.2 miles away); Echo Canyon (approx. 5.2 miles away); Welcome to Echo Canyon (approx. 5.3 miles away); Wanship Station (approx. 6.7 miles away); "Mormon" Pioneer Trail (approx. 8.9 miles away).
 
Old Rock School House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 6, 2013
2. Old Rock School House Marker
Old Rock School House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, July 6, 2013
3. Old Rock School House Marker
At northwest corner of S. Main St and W 100 S Street (State Route 280)
Old Rock School House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Johnson, November 18, 2018
4. Old Rock School House Marker
An automatic car wash has been built behind the marker in a style inspired by the history.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   4. submitted on December 19, 2018, by Andrew Johnson of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67611

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024