Franklin in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Thirkield Store
Occupied this corner from 1850 until 1979.
The Thirkield family owned and operated the store which prided itself on quality merchandise and good customer relations. Under the leadership of Eden B. Thirkield, the store prospered and grew.
Thirkield’s was one of the oldest department stores in the Midwest and was the oldest J-story building west of the Alleghenies.
Erected by Members of the Thirkield Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 39° 33.583′ N, 84° 18.233′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on East 4th Street west of South Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin OH 45005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Log Post Office (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Preservation of Log Post Office (about 800 feet away); Lewis Davis Campbell / Robert Cumming Schenck (approx. The Mackinaw Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin In The Civil War (approx. 1.2 miles away); Franklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 1˝ miles away); Jonathan Wright Homestead (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.