Dade City in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Organized in 1891, St. Mary's originally served Anglican settlers at Lake Pasadena. Its first resident priest, the Rev. James Neville-Thompson, was ordained there in 1892. After the "Great Freeze" in 1895 the building fell into disuse, while remnants of the congregation held services at the Lock home in Dade City. In 1909 the structure was moved here by mule train. The sacristy was added in 1921, the chancel in 1927 and the body of the church was enlarged in 1975.
Erected 1987 by The Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Historical Preservation Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 28° 21.942′ N, 82° 11.584′ W. Marker is in Dade City, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and 11th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37623 Magnolia Avenue, Dade City FL 33523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Price Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dade City Grammar School Pasco County (approx. ¼ mile away); Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pasco County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pasco County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church Street Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Paul Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dade City.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.