Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cynthiana in Harrison County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

County Named, 1793

Harrison County

 
 
County Named, 1793 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
1. County Named, 1793 Marker
Inscription.  For Colonel Benjamin Harrison, who came to area, 1776. Served as Col. in Revolution from Penn. He was a member, 1787 and 1788 Kentucky Conventions, 1792 Constitutional Convention at Danville. Elected to Kentucky Legislature in 1793. County formed from Bourbon and Scott. Portions of Campbell, Boone, Pendleton, Owen, Grant, Kenton, Robertson taken from Harrison.
 
Erected 1968 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1171.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #23 Benjamin Harrison, and the Kentucky Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.
 
Location. 38° 23.383′ N, 84° 17.833′ W. Marker is in Cynthiana, Kentucky, in Harrison County. Marker is on South Main Street (Courthouse Access Parking) north of Pike Street. The marker is located in front of the Harrison County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cynthiana KY 41031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
The nearby Harrison County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
2. The nearby Harrison County Courthouse Marker
Harrison County Courthouse
Cynthiana, KY 41031.

Court Square given to county by Robert Harrison 1792.
Third and present Courthouse erected 1853.
Original contractor, John Huddleston.
Clock and bell added 1856.
North and South wings added 191.
Architect John T. Gillig.
Listed on National Register of Historic Places 1974.
Cynthiana named after Robert Harrison's two daughters-Cynthia and Anna.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker. Korean War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrison County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrison County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Destroyers-USS Cassin (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Log Court House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Renowned Piscator (approx. ¼ mile away); 1st Battle of Cynthiana / 2nd Battle of Cynthiana (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cynthiana.
 
The Harrison County Courthouse and nearby marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 20, 2013
3. The Harrison County Courthouse and nearby marker
The nearby marker is mounted on the wall on the left side of the entrance door.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of both sides -and- a long shot of the marker. • Also a full view photo of the Courthouse. • Also add the nearby "Civil War in Cynthiana, Kentucky" interpretive marker to the database. • Can you help?

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67683

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2021