Near Morton in Redwood County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Robert's Trading Post Site
Aug. 18, 1862.
Erected 1898 by the Minnesota Valley Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1816.
Location. 44° 31.636′ N, 94° 57.993′ W. Marker is near Morton, Minnesota, in Redwood County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 2 and Porter Avenue, on the left when traveling east on County Highway 2. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32469 Redwood County Highway 2, Morton MN 56270, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forbes' Trading Post Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Myrick's Trading Post Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Remains of Hon. J.W. Lynde (about 600 feet away); Court Martial Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Repatriation Monument (approx. 1½ miles away); St. Cornelia's Church Mdewakanton Ehdakupi Wanagi Makoce (approx. 1½ miles away); Lower Sioux Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morton.
More about this marker. The Minnesota Valley Historical Society was composed of citizens of Renville and Redwood counties, that contracted with the Peterson Granite Company of St. Paul, to identify and mark historic sites. "As time passes the exact sites of many or these memorable incidents are liable to be lost, and the society wisely concluded to locate and mark them now, while there are living witnesses and other competent authorities to designate them."
source: New Ulm Review; January 27, 1897
Also see . . . The History of Redwood County, Minnesota. Google Books. "The Minnesota Valley Historical Society had permanently marked many of the historic sites in Redwood and Renville counties, with monuments and tablets. The society was organized at Morton, February 2, 1895, and incorporated under State law, March 15 of the same year... Hon. C. D. Gilfillan was its president, financial backer and moving spirit... His friend, Major Return I. Holcombe, the distinguished historian, did the research work in connection with the monuments and tablets, and superintended their erection." (Submitted on August 18, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.