Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scranton in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rev. Jacob M. Koehler

(1860-1932)

 
 
Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
1. Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker
Inscription.  Founder in 1882 of the institute that became the Scranton State School for the Deaf. An ordained minister who was deaf, he was concerned for this state's uneducated deaf children and was a leading advocate of compulsory education of the deaf. President, National Association of the Deaf, 1896-1900. Twice president, Pennsylvania Society for the Advancement of the Deaf. U.S. representative to the World Congress of the Deaf (Paris), 1889.
 
Erected 1999 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 41° 25.796′ N, 75° 38.491′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on North Washington Avenue, 0 miles north of Electric Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1800 North Washington Avenue, Scranton PA 18509, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Robert Patrick Casey (approx. ¼ mile away); Grand Army of the Republic Post 139 Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Motherhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marywood University Timeline (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Casimir (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jack Henzes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Jim Crowley (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scranton.
 
Regarding Rev. Jacob M. Koehler. The Scranton State School for the Deaf was closed in 2009. The campus was shut down in 2012. The students were transferred to the newly created Scranton State School for the Deaf, located in nearby South Abington Township. The campus was sold to Marywood University and the buildings await remediation and rehabilation.
 
Also see . . .  History | Scranton State School for the Deaf Alumni Webpage. (Submitted on August 18, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Wide view of the Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
2. Wide view of the Rev. Jacob M. Koehler Marker
The first building of the Scranton State School for the Deaf (1895) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
3. The first building of the Scranton State School for the Deaf (1895)
Scranton State School for the Deaf campus image. Click for full size.
Photographed By PaulwC3, August 4, 2013
4. Scranton State School for the Deaf campus
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=67847

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024