Lancaster in Garrard County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Home of Statesmen
Two hundred feet west John Boyle built log cabin, 1798, that is still part of home. He and three others, who later set up housekeeping in that cabin, were state legislators and represented the district in Congress 28 years.
John Boyle, 1774-1834, also Chief Justice, Court of Appeals; U.S. District Judge. Boyle County named for him.
See other side.
Continued from other side.
Samuel McKee, 1774-1826, also on Gen. Harrison's staff, War of 1812. George Robertson, 1790-1874, also Kentucky Secretary of State; Chief Justice Kentucky Court of Appeals. Robertson County named for him.
Robert P. Letcher, 1788-1861, also Governor of Kentucky, 1840-44; Minister to Mexico, 1849-52. Letcher County named for him.
Erected 1964 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 714.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1798.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster KY 40444, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Local Authoress (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Gov. Bradley (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Lancaster Public Spring (about 600 feet away); Captain William Early Buford (about 600 feet away); Buford-Salter House (about 600 feet away); Garrard County, 1797 (about 700 feet away); Garrard County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.