Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Reily Hose Company No. 10

 
 
Reily Hose Company No. 10 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
1. Reily Hose Company No. 10 Marker
Inscription.  The explosion in the growth of Uptown Harrisburg in the last two decades of the 19th Century required the construction of a new fire station, the first to be located north of Reily Street. On July 11, 1885, the Reily Hose Company was organized and operated from a stable on Wood Street, located between Fifth and Sixth Street. A month later it officially became part of the City's fire station system and received the designation as "No. 10." In 1889, recognizing the need for a larger facility, Harrisburg's Reily family donated a plot of ground to the company at Sixth and Dauphin Streets where a frame firehouse was immediately erected. This served the Company until 1899 when the City constructed the present building on the same site, a two story brick, Italianate-styled edifice complete with a beautifully designed bell tower. The Company remained mostly volunteer until 1970 when paid city fire fighters were brought on board. The building was discontinued as a fire station in 1980 and was sold for private use when two new state-of-the-art fire stations came on line. In 1991, the City again assumed ownership of the property, this time for the creation
Reily Hose Company No. 10 image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
2. Reily Hose Company No. 10
Now the Pennsylvania National Fire Museum.
of the Pennsylvania National Fire Museum, a truly unique commemoration to the history of fire-fighting in the Commonwealth and nation. Undertaken as the initiative of the Mayor, with improvements funded by the City, the museum effort resulted in the splendid restoration and expansion of the building, the first-ever facility of its kind in the region. Considered a classic architectural representation of the grand, turn-of-the-century American firehouse, the museum contains a variety of firefighting memorabilia, including the oldest fire apparatus in the United States, a 1790's hand-operated pump cart.
Top Photo
1900 view of the Reily Fire Station shortly after construction.
Bottom Photo
1899 dedication of the Reily Fire Station as depicted by artist Landis Brent Whitsel.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 16.594′ N, 76° 53.508′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Fourth Street and Dauphin Street, on the left when traveling north on N. Fourth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Plaque on wall of fire house image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, March 30, 2008
3. Plaque on wall of fire house
Reily Hose Co. No 10
Organized July 2nd 1885
are within walking distance of this marker. Simon Cameron School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cottage Ridge (approx. mile away); Camp Curtin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tracy Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Governor's Residence (approx. 0.4 miles away); Women's World War I Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Ladies Of Harrisburg During The Civil War (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Curtin (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkGovernment & PoliticsNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Reily Hose Company No. 10.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,701 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement